Early Career Fellowship
The Humanities Center at the University of Pittsburgh invites applications for a residential fellow for the academic year 2015-16. We seek a colleague of outstanding promise, at work on a major project in any area of the humanities or allied areas of inquiry. Applicants must have PhD in hand at time of application. We especially encourage applications by scholars who are women or minorities.
Stipend will be $45,000, plus benefits, with a fund of $5,000 available for research and relocation expenses. The fellow will be provided with an office and assisted in finding housing in Pittsburgh. The fellow will be required to reside in Pittsburgh while holding the fellowship, to present a lecture and colloquium, and to participate regularly in the activities of the center. If there is a course the fellow wishes to develop and teach, this is welcome, but it is not required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 17, 2014 for the academic year 2015-16. We cannot accept materials before September 8, 2014.
Apply for Fellowship
Please complete the online Early Career Fellowship application. Attach CV, statement of proposed fellowship project, writing sample, and course proposal (optional).
Invite three reviewers to each submit a letter of recommendation using the online Early Career Fellowship Recommendation form. If they are unable to use that form, they may email their letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (with your full name in the subject line).
- The proposal (no longer than 1,000 words) should state the project to be pursued during the fellowship.
- The writing sample should be between 5,000 and 10,000 words.
- If a course is proposed, this should be a separate statement, up to 500 words. A course outline or syllabus may also be included. The course may be for an advanced undergraduate or graduate audience.
- The letters from referees should specifically address the proposed project.
- The Center encourages and supports research on and in languages other than English, but because English is the language of most Center activities, we require application materials to be provided in English.
If you have questions about the fellowship, please contact us at email@example.com.